Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Attitude

Today I went and saw the Australian Open tennis. What struck me about the sport is just how much the player's attitude affects their performance. Of course you see Lleyton Hewitt yelling 'come on' to himself to give himself a lift. But until I was metres away from the players I didn't get it.


We arrived as a player was leading the set 5 games to 1 after losing the first set. But we arrived at the turning point of the set. As his opponent started to win games, this player started to loose his cool. His attitude went from one of cocky self confidence to aggravation. After his opponent won the set 7 to 5 he threw his racquet across the court and stormed out of the arena. When he arrived back for the third set he was constantly arguing with the umpire and grumpy with himself. He lost.


It got me reflecting on my own attitudes. I recognise that I have bad attitudes at times. Now it would be easy to say that we should all just switch our attitude, but that would be a glib, unhelpful platitude. I admit that I don't have an easy answer. I struggle to change my attitude. Sometimes I am forced to challenge my attitude by spending time with people or a situation towards which I have a bad attitude. As I have suggested before, if we can learn to understand our differences and embrace our diversity then we can move forward together. For me this is usually the only way that I can change a bad attitude. But of course it takes a commitment to challenge myself. Sometimes I just couldn't be bothered with the challenge. But when I can be, I find that I do move forward and 'win the match.'


What about you?


What I read today:


Under Obama the radical religious conservatives could become more dangerous than ever



2 comments:

  1. I love how you end each blog with a question to your readers :) Makes you think even when you don't want to!

    I often struggle with attitude change too...and having 'pre-set' ideas about other peoples attitudes to things, not allowing them to change their opinions. Limiting them, and myself too.

    Change is a difficult thing for people to cope with and definitely challenging for yourself. But learning to realise that everybody thinks differently and attitudes to things are different is a good thing - but definitely takes some hard work.

    I don't think it's about learning to accept the differences, it's more than that. It's learning to appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good point that 'pre-set' ideas limit both others and ourselves. If only we were able to realise that at the beginning of our journey with people rather than later on.

    Commitment to change and commitment to accepting and appreciating difference is key to healthy community. If we are able to appreciate diversity then we are healthier for it.

    Glad that you enjoy the questions, and I am pleased that you not only read my blog but also comment.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete