Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The end of an era

Today I attended my 91 year old grandfather's funeral. My grandfather was a true gentleman. To hear him acknowledged as such by a wide variety of people, people his own age, people who work with people his age and people of younger generations, suggests the truth of the statement.


He was a gentleman and as I reflected on his passing I was forced to reflect on the passing of the idea of being gentleman. The ideals that I think of when I remember his life are not the ideals that I see in society around me. The little things, like opening a door for a lady and always walking on the roadside of the footpath (to get hit first by a wayward car) that reflected his understanding of his role in the world. He was far from a servant, but he did serve. He was also a gentle man. As far as I understand he swung the belt when needed (he was a man of his time), but it was a role he filled rather than a role he loved. He served his country in a time of war. He served his community and his family in times of peace.


He was an 'Aussie battler' of the real variety, rather than the A Current Affair kind. He worked on a dairy farm, when the land was cleared by hand. He drove a milk truck, when the milk crates were lifted onto the truck rather than the milk being pumped. He drove trucks and towed the caravan around Australia in a time before airconditioning, powersteering, ABS brakes and tinted windows.


I reflected today on the place of the gentleman in Australian society. Is it a quaint ideal? Does it belong to a bygone era, when men were Men and women stayed at home, cooked the dinner and did the washing? But again that isn't what I hear of my grandfather's life story. He was a man who loved the farming lifestyle. The hard work, the outdoors, the mateship. But he also loved his family, and they couldn't endure the farming life. So he moved into town and raised his family, still doing hard physical work.


I don't think the idea of the gentleman is a quaint ideal. I don't think that it belongs in a bygone era. I do see in some of my male friends a flicker of that gentlemanly spark. The virtues of hard work, service, commitment to family, simplicity, humility and dependability are ones I wish to emulate.


Here is a poem that my grandmother wrote about her husband:


Les


He stands tall among me:


Outstanding!


Because of his simplicity;


Expecting little from life


for himself


And yet


He gives freely of his skills


His time, his love


To others


Never one to blow his own trumpet


Though he has plenty to blow


his trumpet about ...


Always read for a laugh


For his ready wit he is valued


He sees in simple things


The larger picture;


Not obscured by wealth


Or the need to perform


to other's standards


He is always there when needed


He is strong, reliable, kind,


His name is Les.



2 comments:

  1. Hey, that's a nice post :) Clearly, you thought quite high of him too and respected his life and how he lived it.

    Reflecting on the gentleman topic. It is nice when car doors are opened etc. The side walk thing - that's nice, hehe. I guess it gives a sense of protection and pride in the gentleman's family and wife (or a brother and his sister). It is a nice thought and it isn't often seen in too many young guys these days. Even older men don't seem to care much about caring for and respecting their families.

    A gentleman - kind, selfless, respects the ideas/opinions of his family/wife etc. whilst making decisions about what to do/where to go, hardworking.

    And I like your point about dependent. What exactly do you mean? Because often it's seen as the woman is dependent on her husband to provide the income to do the 'traditional' woman stays home, cleans, cooks etc. But I do think there has to be some kind of dependency from the man to his family/wife because if independency was something to be accomplished...why have a wife and a family in the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful description you give of your grandfather - one you would like to emulate. You will if in your own way you pass on to others some of the lovely qualities of life that have made you respect and love him. I guess we all know people of this calibre but the question that remains is still the same "how do I emulate such a person?" Not by being them but by being ourselves in the best way possible as God intended. Sorry to hear of your loss but it sounds as if there is a little bit of "if I am half the man he was then I will be proud." May God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete