Monday, December 15, 2008

Discipleship

Discipleship is a key framework through which I understand both my spiritual journey and that of those around me.


Discipleship in a Christian sense means being a follower of Jesus Christ.


Jesus Christ was a Jewish guy who's birthday we celebrate in a week and a bits time (who knows why its the 25th of December). We have a gospel record of his life, which is a topic for a whole series of blog posts. But my point is to suggest that discipleship is about following a specific way, rather than a general meandering through life.


I would suggest that Christian discipleship is a journey that every person is on. I don't mean to suggest that in an arrogant or patriarchal sense. Just that every person I have ever met has had some thoughts about God, the world around them and belief in something beyond them.


I think that every discipleship journey is marked by a number of significant points. Not everyone reaches them in the same order. Not everyone reaches them all. Not everyone reaches any of them. People may reach some and then later change their mind. But from my observations and experience some of the key points that I see in Christian discipleship are:


- belief in a higher power/supreme being/creator of the physical universe


- belief in the need for a relationship/system of belief to connect to the above


- belief in Jesus Christ as outline in the New Testament (Son of God, saviour, etc)


- commitment to orientate one's life towards the values of God displayed through Jesus


- commitment to Christian Community


- commitment to sacrificial mission/ministry/work


- complete re-evaluation of one's worldview and values against the example of Jesus and acting upon that.


That is by no means exhaustive. Got anything to add or other thoughts?



1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that discipleship is key to our Christian journey. I've always thought that faith in community is working when we have someone coming alongside us and journeying with us, and we are walking alongside another journeying with them.

    I like the key points you have listed, each one could be unpacked and explored in depth, as they are all large concepts.

    There is one that I would add, (although I think it falls under some of the points you've listed once unpacked)...

    Is a commitment to a lifestyle free from guilt and obligation - to make choices in our journey motivated by what gives us life.

    Thus allowing us to sustain our mission, our commitment to Christian community and to have the energy to shift our values towards those shown through Jesus.

    Another two elements that I think are overarching are accountability and reflection on our journey.

    Just my thoughts.

    Melissa.

    ReplyDelete