Sunday, December 28, 2008

Perception

We all have perceptions, good or bad, about the world around us.


If you ask a non-sports fan their perception of cricket fans they would probably say old and boring, just like the game. If you asked the same person their perception of 'soccer' fans, they would probably answer hooligan. The Age had an interesting article about this very situation today. Of course more fans were ejected from the cricket than were ejected from the football last night.


The important question is how much we let our perceptions define our actions. If I have a perception that all people from a certain country will act in a certain way I am guilty of a gross generalisation. If I let that perception prevent me from interacting with those people then even worse for me because I lose the chance to meet some amazing people.


What about when we hold perceptions of a whole community. Lots of people have a variety of perceptions of Footscray. Those who aren't from around here usually have negative perceptions. Negative perceptions may have some basis in truth, but are usually at best an exaggeration and at worse an outright fallacy.


I think that a person's perception of God is the biggest determinant of their faith position. If God is perceived as a judgemental guy in the sky then faith is based on following the rules. If God is perceived as a watch maker, who created the world and then let it go, then he is irrelevant in day to day life. If God is perceived as interested in the poor then all our responsibility is to help them out.


Last night I made a comment that brought sharp focus to a perception that I really needed to change, even though the situation reiterated the perception.



1 comment:

  1. It is so true that our actions are heavily influenced by our perceptions. I must say though, my perceptions of some people are very often wrong and I am pleasantly surprised.

    As I have conversations with others about their thoughts of who / what God is, it helps me unpack my perceptions about God. I must say that very often I find people's perceptions of God explain why they respond / behave in certain ways.

    For myself, I have started to become aware of my perceptions of God and realised that it has a huge impact on my faith. I believe that God is involved in the little things in my life and I believe that God has invested in our race and wants the best for it. I believe God loves each of us, so I look at the people I am around and attempt to see them with love. I have also realised that part of me perceives God as someone who judges my behaviour. Which could lead to my feelings of guilt that I am not living up to God's expectations.

    Once I stop and consider these perceptions I realise that some of them aren't actually consistent with my overall perceptions of God and I have to adjust them them.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete