Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Concentration

Today I got to play some chess with a mate of mine. When we first started playing together I could not beat him. Every time we would play he would out smart me. We both stopped playing as regularly, chess in those days were a good distraction from our lives. Recently we have both had the chance to rekindle our friendly competitive spirit.


No more do I loose every game. Recently my friend would have to admit that I have held the upper hand. Today in our opening game I even managed to capture him in 'Fool's Mate' a move where you are able to win the game in 4 moves if the other player doesn't notice. It was a trick that he had used on me many times in 'the old days' and so I was pleased that it came off.


As we played our games drew into extended battles. A number of times I found myself with the upper hand. I had taken a number of his pieces and was in the stronger position. Yet I failed to capitalise. I took my eye off the pieces, I failed to concentrate and I stopped looking ahead. Funnily enough I lost.


It has reinforced to me the importance, in both chess and life, of concentration. If we take our eye off the board we will get bitten. If we loose our focus on the road ahead we will end up in the ditch. When life is going easy it is not difficult to loose concentration. Why bother planning ahead when everything is going well? The same is true of when times are tough. We are so caught up in the next move we loose the bigger picture and find ourselves chasing our tail.


Its funny how chess and life are so similar.



1 comment:

  1. It is easy to get caught up in the little things, it is also often the little things that create big things. Keeping focussed on the big picture while being happy in the little things that lead us to the big thing is a challenge. I really like the chess analogy, it is true for me. I either get do focussed on one thing that everything else passes me by and soon I'm in trouble or I react to every little incident and am chasing my tail.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete