Thursday, February 5, 2009

Depravity

This post is part of a series of posts on the topic of Salvation. Here is the introduction to the series.


Yesterday I blogged on the topic of the fall and today I want to follow on with the closely related topic of depravity. Depravity is the theological concept that all humans are affected by sin.


Some Christians understand depravity to mean that humanity is inherently evil. That is, our natural inclination is towards evil. In this understanding salvation is therefore God removing the evil from us and allowing us to become good.


This however is not the Salvationist, or my, position. Rather we understand depravity to mean that there is no area of humanity that is not affected by sin. Humanity is inherently good, that was how God created us, but because of our depravity we can never be totally good. Because we are good we can strive to come closer to God and do good deeds. This however is not enough for salvation. Doing good will not save us, we still need God to act.


The first view does not allow God to work outside of Christians. The second view sees God being at work in all of creation, whether it is recognised or not. The first view suggests that those who aren't saved are inherently bad and therefore God has condemned them. The second suggests that God sees humanity as his children, wayward and in need of direction and assistance. Without God's assistance humanity will falter and people will fall off the rails.


What about you? Which view resonates with your experience of humanity?


What I read today:


being human


Hyperreal missional churches



2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I have liked this post most out of the Salvation series. (Note to author: as a reader, unless the topic grasps my attention, I am more inclined to be interested in posts that are about many different topics.)

    The second idea was well illustrated by you, my thoughts are alligned better with that idea. However, I have also been led to believe that we are all sinners - hence we need God's salvation. I'm not sure how you mean that the first meaning doesn't allow God to work outside of Christians.

    I guess I'm still undecided, and so as not to take somebody else's opinion as my own, I should do my research. Know any good scripture that talks about Salvation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, thanks for the feedback. I too have been thinking that the series has gone a bit long. When I brainstormed the topics to cover there was a whole heap of them. :) Today's will be the last for a little while.

    The second idea, that we are inherently good, doesn't ignore the fact that we are all sinners. It just suggests that we are not only sinners. That we are 'depraved' or touched by sin in every aspect, means that we need God's salvation.

    The first idea, that we are inherently evil, doesn't allow for God to work outside Christians. Think of discussions about not listening to non-Christian music or watching 'secular' movies. Because they come from our 'human' side they are unredeemed and therefore unable to show us about God.

    I just think of the Matrix, which was made from a Buddhist philosophy. Lots of Christians I know loved the film and used it to enhance their own and other's understanding of faith and discipleship. How could an 'evil' Buddhist inspired movie do this?

    As for good scripture that talks about Salvation? The whole thing? The whole book is about our relationship with God, which is fundamentally what salvation is about. Specifically, sit down and read the gospel of Mark straight through. It should take you less than 90 minutes. View how Jesus treats people and how he 'saves' them. You might be surprised.

    ReplyDelete