Monday, February 2, 2009

A new creation?

This post is part of a series of posts on the topic of Salvation. Here is the introduction to the series.


My previous post and subsequent discussion on the end of the world highlighted the image of a new creation. I think that the biblical theme of a new creation, which relates to both individuals and all of creation, is an image of Salvation.


Paul uses the image of individuals being a new creation in 2 Corinthians Chapter 5. In the context of the chapter, Paul is using the image of being a new creation to suggest that as Christians we need to move beyond the limitations of living in 'earthly bodies' an image of a pre-Christian state. In verse 15 he suggests that "those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."


Here Paul gives us the key to how the image of a new creation is one of salvation. A Christian is saved from living for themselves. A Christian is saved to living for something beyond themselves. God created us to live in community with each other and in relationship to him. Being 'saved' invites us back into community and relationship with God. We can put aside our selfish desires and aspirations and follow God's desires and aspirations.


This is not to suggest that a new creation destroys the old creation. Paul was a Jew. He was a Pharisee, the most religious of Jews. After his conversion he did not cease to be a Jew. Paul's theological understanding is pinned on figuring out what it means to be a Jew who follows Jesus. Who he is is enhanced by being a new creation. His old self is not annihilated, it is renewed.


We are not saved so that we can hate our former self. God did not save us in order to destroy who we once were.



1 comment:

  1. Is is great to be saved to something bigger than ourselves!

    My understanding of Salvation became much deeper and more meaningful once I realized God still valued me and who I was, shortcomings yes... But God had created some good in me and he was not eliminating that part of me by offering me salvation. It actually helps my self esteem a whole lot knowing that Jesus brings wholeness but not because I am nothing, because I am something worthwhile to God. This also means that me personality and skills are validated as worthwhile. Not to say I don't need a lot of redeeming, but it assures me that God loves the essecence of who I am.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete