Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Fall

This post is part of a series of posts on the topic of Salvation. Here is the introduction to the series.


The Christian understanding of salvation is usually linked to the account of 'the Fall' told in Genesis chapter 3. I choose not to use the phrase 'directly linked' because I think that there are other ways of understanding salvation separate to the Genesis account of 'the Fall.'


Contrary to popular understanding the issue at the centre of 'the fall' is not about eating a piece of fruit. The issue is that by eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, Adam and Eve would come to understand the world in a whole new way. The temptation of the serpent is that "if you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (v5) The 'sin' was to desire to be like God, in control.


Now some Christians believe that the original act of disobedience outlined in Genesis 3 had to have taken place in some form at some point in history. This happened and by that original act 'sin' entered the world.


I however think the Genesis 3 story holds a much bigger truth than one isolated event at some point in the past. I think it is a story that replays itself multiple times a day in each of our lives. Sin didn't need to enter the world through Adam and Eve because it enters the world everyday when I decide, rather than God, what is good and evil. When I choose to eat the fruit, rather than listening to God, I am bringing sin into the world. When I bring sin into the world the consequences are far reaching. They do not only affect me, but affect those around me.


Salvation comes when we allow God to be God.


What I read today:


More heatwaves likely as climate change worsens


What is the transforming theology project?



No comments:

Post a Comment