Thursday, February 12, 2009

Win or lose?

As a lover of Football I am constantly asked to explain my love for the game. The most common argument against football is "how can you watch a game that can end in a nil all draw. How boring!" People who don't understand the game fail to appreciate what is happening. Sometimes a much weaker team plays a much stronger team. The stronger team repeatedly attacks the weaker team's goal, but the underdogs miraculously hold out for a draw and a vital point for the ladder. That is exciting, not boring.


Australian's struggle with the concept of a draw on the sporting field. We kind of get a draw in cricket, which is usually a good result for a team who has not played well in the match but are able to "salvage the draw." We need to have a clearly defined winner and looser.


What does this winning mentality mean beyond the sporting arena? If we have a differing opinion to someone we get into a debate, however subtle, so that we can feel we won. Instead of being able to share our different viewpoints and expand our understanding of an issue, we 'fight to the death.' Our need to win not only harms our ability to work together it also threatens diversity. If we have to beat the people who are different to us then they won't want to work with us or hang around us.


What if we approached our relationships, not as sporting battles, but as a place where a draw was the best result? A place where the most important thing is to allow everyone to share their opinion, thoughts and skills. Where we didn't use those things to win, but rather to learn from one another.


Perhaps it is time to play for the draw?



3 comments:

  1. I need to respond to this as I am feeling very frustrated at the moment about fire relief.

    I have trained with the Salvo for Emergancy Relief (as have several others) but we are never asked to help in any way. The Red Cross are the people in charge, and although they do a great job, (and many here are elderly)they don't invite anyone else in. What are they afraid of, is it they want all the cudoss (?)

    Simalarly we had a chuch set up here as a fire haven, but were giving people wrong infomation and sending people away who came with donations for the fires. We have had many come into the Salvo's with stories of complaint and they have really tarnished their name. Again Why? I can see them patting themselves on the back and telling all who listen how good they are, but where are they when the hard work needs to be done! All I can say is thank God for the Salvo's! People know they can rely on us in times of need.

    Sorry I've got it of my chest now.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the Salvo MCD newsletter, it talks about the Salvation Army's response to the bushfires in partnership with the Red Cross. It sounds like a great collaborative effort, well coordinated between agencies. Doug Thomas articulated that the resources and skills have been shared between those available. Sounds like a great "draw" situation, rather than competing for the assistance, which wouldn't be as helpful.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here we have Red Cross and Salvos working hard strong together. Both a very well known 'helping out agencies'. Yes, I say agencies...because people often know the Salvation Army as a refuge agency - not as a church denomination.

    Red Cross did not have enough people to cover catering, paperwork and phonecalls on Sunday/Monday and asked if there were any willing volunteers. We had 3 full A4 sheets of paper with names and contact numbers from our church.

    I wasn't called, neither was anybody that I know (that I have spoken too). But I'm guessing they didn't just tell the UC - perhaps other churches too, and many other put their hands up. Plus, the earlier service (a lot more people than ours) was also told about the volunteer list.

    I'll admit, I was disappointed as I've found in many personality tests that I am often the 'helper'. And such a crisis, where I can't do much really frustrates me. I have given clothes, I have given money. One thing I was excited about that isn't all that 'common' or 'easy' is giving blood - we had already scheduled for this week...but I was disappointed (really, I was holding back tears) because I was told I couldn't donate this time because my iron wasn't high enough.

    Liam, I do like the idea of being happy with a draw. Humans are so competitive. I know I am! My nick name at Bible Study (most of us have one) used to be Argumento (until I recently got Enilimator...dyslexic moments...) so yeah!

    I think my struggle is when you decide to draw and just 'accept differences' is the matter/issue forgotten about - is there need for compromise or anything?

    In a sporting game, having a draw, winning or losing, doesn't really affect your life...so you might get benched, lose a million dollars - there's worse off people.

    I like the illustration, but at the same time, I think relationships tend to be more complex.

    ReplyDelete